The professional scholarships funded by the Australian Government and targeted at undergraduate and postgraduate learners from developing countries.
The long term intent is to contribute to the development requirements of Australia’s partner nations in line with the country’s development outcomes.
The scholarships provide prospects for people from developing nations, predominantly those regions situated in the Indo-Pacific region, to take on full time undergraduate or postgraduate learning at targeted Australian universities and higher education institutions.
The learning opportunities offered by the scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to development in their own countries.
Australia Awards Scholarships are given for the minimum time period required for the student to undertake the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. The following benefits generally apply:
- full tuition fees payment.
- return air travel–payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- establishment allowance–a once only payment as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)–a compulsory program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on living and studying in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)–provided to cover the scholar’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees–if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- supplementary academic support may be available to ensure a scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience
- fieldwork (for research awards and Masters by coursework which have a research component where fieldwork is compulsory) may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
Applicants who receive an Australia Awards Scholarship will be required need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will abide by the conditions of the scholarship.
Scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the scholar incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.