Application Deadline: 2 June 2020
About the program:
Under the generous sponsorship by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The scholarship programme targets university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub Saharan Africa with a first academic degree (for Master’s applicants), or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses. In-Region Scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programe in a country of their home region (here:
Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) by offering up to 3 In-Country scholarships for PhD studies, up to 5 In-Region scholarships for PhD studies and up to 3 In-Country scholarships for Master studies, up to 7 In-Country scholarships for Master studies at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) for the intake 2021. Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds and to the conclusion of contract between the host institution and DAAD.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
• Master of Science in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
Place of Tenure:
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR)
Application and Selection Procedure:
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) has set its own deadlines.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD.
The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application.